Landeshauptstadt Dresden - www.dresden.dehttps://www.dresden.de/en/city/07/01/Middle-Ages.php 15.06.2015 16:42:13 Uhr 15.05.2021 10:40:03 Uhr
The original town corresponded approximately to the area of today's old city on the left bank of the Elbe.
In the early years, the expansion of the town and the development of trade and crafts progressed only very slowly. At the end of the 13th century, Dresden possessed a Franciscan monastery, at the end of the 14th century two hospices.
Around 1500, there were a mere 6,000 people living in the town, its suburbs and in the little town Altendresden, which had been established on the opposite bank of the Elbe, even though other towns in the region had already achieved a certain economic significance and urban development. In the 15th century, Hussite preachers were active in the Dresden, and in 1429, a Hussite army laid siege to the town.