Because of its scenic beauty and magnificent view of the Elbe valley, the Elbe slopes in Loschwitz have always been one of Dresden's most favourite residential areas. The steel-girder construction "Blue Wonder", which was built between 1891 and 1893 to connect the districts Loschwitz and Blasewitz, was considered a technical wonder at that time, too. The bridge owes its name "Blue Wonder" to its light blue paint. The "Koernerplatz" is the starting point for two cable railways.
The aerial railway, which was built from 1898 until 1901, is considered the oldest aerial railway of the world and takes the passenger in four and a half minutes to the lookout point "Schoene Aussicht". On its way from Loschwitz to Oberloschwitz, it overcomes a height difference of 84 metres. Guests interested in transportation history can visit the machine room at the top station.
In the funicular railway the day tripper reaches the popular restaurant "Luisenhof" in Weisser Hirsch, a part of the city that is situated 100 metres higher up than Koernerplatz since 1895. The top station, 95 metres above the river, offers fantastic views over Dresden. It is also possible to visit the historical machine room.