Landeshauptstadt Dresden - www.dresden.dehttps://www.dresden.de/en/living/environment/07/01/Rose-Garden.php 18.06.2015 18:00:46 Uhr 14.04.2021 07:28:58 Uhr
The Rose Garden was laid out in the 1930s to plans by Heinrich Balke, the city director of gardens at the time. It is to be considered one of the most important achievements in urban garden design of the early 20th century. It forms part of a landscaped riverside promenade along the Neustadt banks of the Elbe, which serves to balance the old city architecture lining the Elbe on the left banks.
The Rose Garden was opened as a reference and show garden in connection with a horticultural show in 1936, for which 6,000 rose bushes and trees were planted. With its strictly geometric forms and rectangular centrepiece, its path and bed layout, its bordering, the choice of materials and its ornamental sculptures, the garden is a typical example of the early to mid-20th century style.
The garden was badly damaged during the Second World War, and much of its artistic ornament was lost. In the years after 1945, the extensive depositions of rubble cleared from the surrounding area, as well as maintenance reflecting contemporary tastes in both the 1950s and 1970s, led to serious impairment of the original design and spatial structure. Many of the roses are in the meantime much too old, further losses can be attributed to soil exhaustion, and the decaying walls, steps and paths are in urgent need of repair.
The city authorities are planning a complex restoration for the coming years, including installation of a modern irrigation system. During the course of this work, the original layout, stock diversity and colour harmonies are to be recreated as far as possible.