Landeshauptstadt Dresden - 20.08.2015 17:23:12 Uhr 29.10.2020 18:29:53 Uhr

Freedom of movement of citizens of the European Union and Swiss citizens

Citizens of the member states of the European Union* and their family members have freedom of movement and are entitled to enter and reside in the Federal Republic of Germany. In accordance with the law on general freedom of movement of citizens of the European Union (Freizügigkeitsgesetz). A certificate concerning the right of residence can not be issned.

The same applies to citizens of the EEA countries**.

* Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary, Cyprus

** Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein

Citizens of the European Union do not need a visa to enter these countries or a permit to reside there. Family members, who are no citizens of the European Union may need a visa according to the clauses for immigrants, the residence law applies for. For official purposes, they are issued with an residence card, if they are entitled for freedom of movement. 

The certificate the residence card and the visa are issued free of charge. 

At the request of citizens of the EC, their dependants und their life partners, which have been staying permanent of residence-EC, if the citizen's stay has been lawful at last under the Act on the General Freedom Movement for EU citizens.

Swiss citizens: based on the agreement on freedom of movement between the EU and the Swiss Confederation, special regulations apply for Swiss citizens. No visa is required to enter the country, however, Swiss citizens planning to reside in Germany must apply for a residence permit.