The Mayor of Dresden
The Mayor (Oberbürgermeisterin) chairs the City Council and is Head of the City Administration.
She acts as chairman of the legislative bodies, i.e. the City Council and its legislative committees. She at the same time manages the City Administration and is responsible for internal organisation and the day-to-day administrative business. The Mayor implements the resolutions of the City Council and its committees.
On 22th June 2008, the people of Dresden elected Helma Orosz (CDU) as their Mayor. She received 64 per cent of the vote.
The mayor is elected for a term of seven years.
- Born in Görlitz on 11th May 1953
- 1972: After completing secondary school, studies at the Görlitz College for Medical and Related Occupations
- 1975 to 1978: Deputy head of a nursery centre in Weisswasser
- 1978: Further qualification to nursery centre head at the Cottbus Training Academy
- from 1979: Head of a child day-care centre, and
- from 1989: Head of the district nurseries association in Weisswasser
- 1990: Head of the department of health and social affairs at the Landratsamt (district administrator's office) in Weisswasser
- 1994: Move to the district "Niederschlesischer Oberlausitzkreis" in the same function
- 1998 to 2001: Studies in civil service administration
- 2001: Election as mayor of the town of Weisswasser
- 2003 to 2008: Saxon State Minister for Social Affairs
- 22nd June 2008: Election as mayor of the City of Dresden